Tuesday, September 20, 2011

journey to the vultures

a short time ago i went to the mashantucket pequot museum in connecticut...on a main building before the museum the roof towers were full of vulture sculptures...wings outstretched and pointed to the east ...as the car passed by the building one real vulture lifted off and flew over...i laughed...this one was hiding out...i thought little of it all except how cool these sculptures looked...

then leaving the museum and driving away i looked up to see the sculptures again and they were gone!...all these buzzards...at least 30 of them with outstretched wings were real and were now gone! it gave me great pause...what we see is not as it often is...i know this but to have such a tangible teaching was amazing...

i have been wanting to journey to the vultures since that day and this morning felt like the time...the last three days have been challenging...dealing with my mom and her mental health issues...i have been more concretely making personal plans and accepting the weight of change and transforming this weight into a sense of lighthearted adventure...and so i felt this morning the draw to explore the vultures and what they can reveal to me...so here is my journey...

journeyed to the roof of vultures...asked for a guide for understanding...what is there in front of me i am not seeing...one of the vultures stepped forward and closed around me with its wings...it changed into a half woman/half vulture...i was still in my body but with large wings...we flew away with the other vultures following...

we all landed in the trees of a cedar swamp...the vulture woman navigated me to a large boulder in the middle of the swamp...she sat with me in silence...

the boulder started cracking open...i realized we were sitting on a boulder which also was an egg...we leaped up as animals and birds and insects came from it and scattered...then the egg/boulder closed again...we sat again...again it hatched and fish leaped, turtles crawled and frogs hopped from the opening...this time she directed me to go in...so i did...

she sat and waited and when i emerged i emerged as myself only feeling rejuvenated and keenly aware of my own life...the breath of my body, my heartbeat, my skin sensitive to touch, my being open to existence...i felt my human desires and needs and not ignored as before...i felt my happiness easily...i felt the power of my will and the peaceful movement of my minds thoughts...the green around me came into me...the calmness of the breeze flowed through me....i was all the way alive...

the other vultures came down to me and spread their wings out...a wind came and scattered the feathers...standing around me were people...ancient people...shining with their own self awareness...they took me to their village and we feasted...i felt my vitality restored completely...with vulture woman by my side i ran and ran and ran until i was on my aunts land and ended my journey there under the apple tree...

No comments:

Post a Comment